Answered By: Robert Sebek
Last Updated: Jun 04, 2020     Views: 226

Anyone can come to the Virginia Tech campus and access online resources from within the library. Remote access is a different matter, however. You must be able to successfully login through the library's Off Campus Sign In.

Success depends on your "affiliation," according to rules established by the university that apply to other privileges besides library access. You can check that affiliation by logging into OneCampus then selecting Manage Accounts, then the My Profile tab. You'll need to see VT-ACTIVE-MEMBER, VT-AFFILIATE, or VT-RETIREE listed under Affiliations to be able to have Off Campus Access to Library Resources.

  • VT-ACTIVE-MEMBER: a person who meets the requirements for vt-student-enrolled (enrolled for the current term) or vt-employee (currently employed faculty or staff).
  • VT-EMPLOYEE-RETIREE: a retiree from Virginia Tech.
  • VT-STUDENT-FUTURE: any person enrolled in a class for a future term at Virginia Tech, which includes Commonwealth Campus students.
  • VT-STUDENT-RECENT: students who have been enrolled in any of the previous four terms (one year), but who are not enrolled for the current term and have not graduated.
  • VT-AFFILIATE: a special case person who is only temporarily associated with Virginia Tech (The BOV has this affiliation).
  • VT-AFFILIATE-TEMPORARY: an even more temporary, special case category.

Once a student graduates, his or her status changes to VT-ALUM and remote, off-campus access is no longer possible. After 4 terms of not being enrolled, a student loses the VT-RECENT affiliation. A student who has not been enrolled since Fall semester 2014 will lose remote access in January 2016

There is nothing locally the library staff can do to provide remote access if your affiliation does not include that entitlement. One's affiliation either works or it does not.

Graduate students working on theses or dissertations, but not currently enrolled, can contact Janice Austin (email:; tel.: 540-231-8316) in the Graduate School about changing their affiliation. But, be aware that the official Graduate School policy is that students be enrolled continuously while working toward completion of a degree, and the graduate school makes any determination of eligibility.

An explanation of university affiliations is available online.

Contact Us