Answered By: Circulation Newman Library
Last Updated: Sep 30, 2020     Views: 60

Books and periodicals (including the current issues of periodicals as well as the bound issues) are shelved according to Library of Congress call number. This classification system was designed to group library materials of similar subject concentration together.

The vast majority of materials in the University Libraries have Library of Congress call numbers.

There is a second classification scheme used, however, for some materials issued by the agencies of the U.S. federal government. Many, but not all, materials received from the federal government have Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call numbers which groups materials by agency rather than by subject. SuDocs call numbers often contain punctuation marks like slashes and colons.

Location Guides are posted on every floor, near the elevators, to assist you in locating where materials are shelved.

In summary, books and bound journals are located according to this scheme:

  • 3rd floor: A-S, Juvenile, Scripts, Microforms
  • 5th floor: T-Z, Government Documents (SuDocs), Folio, Maps Folio, Cassettes and Slides

Contact Us