Answered By: Circulation Newman Library
Last Updated: Feb 11, 2020     Views: 38

The Virginia Tech Libraries receive about 70% of the publications issued by the United States Government Printing Office (GPO). Many government documents are cataloged in Library of Congress call numbers, a subject arrangement system. Many are cataloged in Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call numbers, an agency arrangement system. Many are not cataloged at all but are simply marked with the Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call number and shelved.

GPO publications are indexed in the Monthly Catalog of United States Government Publications (Call number: Z1223 A18) available in the Reference Room on the 2nd floor of Newman. Information in this index will provide citation information and the Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call number.

Search the online Catalog of the U.S. Government Publications to locate documents from the past 30 years or so.

Government documents from all time periods can also be found on WorldCat. Again, citation and Superintendent of Documents (SuDocs) call number information will be listed.

To find the publication in the library catalog, search by the author, title or keyword to see if the item is cataloged. Even if it isn't in our online catalog, we may still own it. Please ask at a Reference desk for assistance.

Government documents with SuDocs call numbers are located on the second floor of Newman Library. The subject pages for Government Documents (international, Virginia and United States have more information.

Contact Us