Answered By: Robert Sebek Last Updated: Aug 08, 2017 Views: 108
You can renew books checked out from any Virginia Tech library using My Library Account . Login, view your checked out items, select the ones you wish to renew and click the Renew Selected button. If any items cannot be renewed (because you have reached your renewal limit, or another patron has requested the item) you will be notified with the appropriate error message. (Books checked out from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan may be renewed through ILLiad, if renewals are allowed by the lending library.)
Once your book is renewed, you can keep it for an additional lending period, starting on the day you renewed. You can keep renewing items until you reach your limit of renewals or when someone recalls the book.
Renewing via text message
You can renew books via text message. You must have opted in to the service first. You can reply to a courtesy notice or overdue notice sent to your cell phone, or send a message directly to the library's short code phone number (35143) with the text
renew to renew all eligible items on your account (use My Library Account to renew individual items). You will receive one of two responses:
- At least one item was renewed successfully.
- None of the patron's items were renewed.
If you have any questions please contact the Circulation department or call 540-231-6340.
Why materials may not renew
There are several reasons why a book may not renew. They include:
- You have reached your maximum number of renewals for that book. If you still need the book, you may bring it into the library, check it in, and provided there are no requests for the item, check it back out again.
- Another patron has requested the book.
- Your account is blocked due to fines or overdue materials. To resolve the block, you will need to pay fines or return overdue materials.
- The item selected for renewal is a Storage Journal, Video, DVD, or Optical Disc, which are not renewable.