Answered By: Robert Sebek
Last Updated: Jul 22, 2016     Views: 118

Even though you can create a PID and password as an incoming student, access to the library's restricted resources like databases and ejournals will not be available until the Registrar's Office runs an end of term/start of term job that changes incoming students' VT affiliation.

Success depends on your "affiliation," according to rules established by the university that apply to other privileges besides library access. You can check your current affiliation in My VT. Login to My VT, go to Personal Info then Manage My Profile. It will list your current affiliations. These affiliations will allow access to Off Campus Sign In:

  • VT-ACTIVE-MEMBER: a person who meets the requirements for vt-student-enrolled (enrolled for the current term) or vt-employee (currently employed faculty or staff).
  • VT-EMPLOYEE-RETIREE: a retiree from Virginia Tech.
  • VT-STUDENT-FUTURE: any person enrolled in a class for a future term at Virginia Tech, which includes Commonwealth Campus students.
  • VT-STUDENT-RECENT: students who have been enrolled in any of the previous four terms (one year), but who are not enrolled for the current term and have not graduated.
  • VT-AFFILIATE: a special case person who is only temporarily associated with Virginia Tech (The BOV has this affiliation).
  • VT-AFFILIATE-TEMPORARY: an even more temporary, special case category.

The library has absolutely no ability to change your affiliation. Contact your academic department for assistance.

Related Topics

Contact Us