Answered By: Robert Sebek
Last Updated: Jan 12, 2015     Views: 239

A call number can be thought of as an "address". There are two main systems that the University Libraries at Virginia Tech uses for its call numbers. One is the Library of Congress call number system. The second is the Superintendent of Documents call number system for publications issued by the Government Printing Office.

Use Addison to determine the call number for the title you want to find. Books or periodicals owned by University Libraries may be searched by author, title, Library of Congress subject, and keyword.

In most cases, the Addison record will provide information and a link to a map of the floor where you will find your book. If that link is absent (in the case of most journals), you may always look at the floor maps of the library. There are floor maps in front of the main elevators and displayed at other areas around each floor. Print copies of Newman Library maps are also available at each reference desk.

Related Topics

Contact Us