Answered By: Robert Sebek Last Updated: Aug 28, 2017 Views: 119
Off campus users can access the software download site only after setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) account. To be eligible for VPN you must be subscribed to the Virginia Tech Wireless Network Service. VPN connectivity is currently a free service. You must register for the wireless service. So, even if you do not have a wireless card, go ahead and register for wireless service so that you can establish a VPN account. VPN is an encrypted service, so it provides security for your Internet connection.
Follow these steps to download and install EndNote for Windows:
- Go to the Virginia Tech network software site and login with your Virginia Tech PID and password.
- Click on the EndNote for Windows download link to display the. license agreement. Scroll to the bottom and check this box - Yes, I have read the license agreement and agree to abide by its terms and then click the Accept Agreement button.
- Click on the Download EndNote for Windows download - EndNote.exe. If the file does not start downloading, check the toolbar to see if there is a message that the downloading has been blocked, in which case clicking on that message will give you the opportunity to download file.
- Save the file to your desktop (or whatever location you choose), and then log out of the network software site.
- Find the downloaded file, which is a self-extracting Windows executable file. Double-click or run the .exe file to begin EndNote installation.
- You can choose a typical or a custom installation. The typical installation includes the 100 most popular output styles, connection files, and import filters. A custom installation will let you add additional files
- Click on Run or Finish to complete the installation process.
- There is an update available, which can be run from within EndNote. Click on Help and then choose EndNote Program Updates.
The Macintosh version is a disk image file that should mount automatically when downloaded; if not, double click on the file name to start the program setup.You will drag the program from the disc image window to your Applications folder. After installing, click on Help and then choose EndNote Program Updates to find any minor updates that should be installed. Note that the program can be installed anywhere, but if it is not installed in the Application folder, you will need to manually configure the locations of import filters, connection files, output styles, and the Cite While You Write files (it's much easier to just install into the Applications folder).
If, for some reason, you are unable to access the download site or to successfully implement a VPN connection, the library has CDs you can borrow to install the program. Contact Lori Lee for details. There are copies as well at the graduate centers in Abingdon, Falls Church, Hampton Roads, Richmond, and Roanoke.